Social Icons

Pages

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

What Makes a Good Show?

This post will include my criteria of a good TV series. I have to point out that these are my opinions, therefore, some people (or you) might have different reasons on why they watch a particular show/s. 

After watching a lot - i mean a lot - of shows over the years, I got fully aware on what constitutes a show which gives  the viewers top quality TV experience. I became more critical and smart on the things I watch on TV. 

For clarity, I'll rank them from the most important down to the least.

1. Character Development

A mean girl cannot be a mean girl from the beginning until the end. A killer cannot just be a plain killing machine all throughout. How the audience perceive a certain character must change or deepen as the series goes on. These are just some examples of good character development. Obviously, this is solely based on the writers of the show, because if not for them, well.. then there will be no show in the first place. What I look forward to is when characters are constantly faced with circumstances which change their personality: either for the better of for worse. As the show progresses, the audience must able to further understand the characters. 


2. Plot Development

Of course, what makes the people watch a show is its story. The plot has to be original and interesting. Together with the subplots, the show must offer something new to the audience. It must, as much as possible, put us on the edge of our seats or make us cry like there's no tomorrow. Just like the in the preceding criterion, the plot of a series must develop into a more complicated, complex and exciting one. Furthermore, I hate it when TV shows insert random subplots that does not have any connection or most of the time unnecessary to the main arc of the show. 

3. Realistic 

In connection with Plot Development, the setting, plot, and the characters must be realistic or at least realistically possible. Of course, there are shows which are fantasy or sci-fi in nature, but they have to have features which can make the viewers believe that their world is true. In a nutshell, everything about this certain series must make sense.

4. Acting

Yes, a show may have the best plot or the best setting, but if the actors cannot act that well... then their show is totally doomed. Top-notch acting + Perfect writing = Excellent show.

5. Actors

This is the least important factor for me, but still, I consider it. If the trailers/previews of the show did not entice me but the actors/actresses involved are stars I know or loved, then I'll watch it. Especially if that particular actor is from another series which I am a big fan of, then expect me to tune in to his or her new show.

No comments:

Post a Comment