Social Icons

Pages

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Elementary: Yay or Nay?


ELEMENTARY is one of the newest crime drama series of CBS that will air in Fall 2012. Fans of the British drama Sherlock, which airs in BBC, have been complaining ever since the pilot of the show was filmed. For all of you who don't know, Elementary is based on the Sherlock Holmes books by Sir Artur Conan Doyle.
2 years ago, BBC aired a modern retelling of the Sherlock books - based in London, and in the present day. Sherlock Holmes is played by Benedict Cumberbatch and Dr. John Watson is portrayed by Martin Freeman.The series revolves around Holmes as he, and his partner John, solve crime in 21st Century London.

The difference now in Elementary is that: a) It's in New York. b) John Watson is a woman.

The American Sherlock Holmes (though played by a British man) is Johnny Lee Miller, and his partner will be played by Lucy Liu. 

When I first found out about CBS' attempt to create a modern Sherlock series, the first thought that came to me was: Uh oh, some BBC fans will be pissed. But actually, it didn't matter to me. I am all for it. But then, I read a news that Steven Moffat, creator of Sherlock (BBC), declined that offer of CBS to create an American version of his successful TV show. However, CBS still went for the Sherlock Holmes plan, thus, Elementary is born. And NO, I don't know why it's called Elementary.

To make this post easier to understand, here's a letter I made for BBC Sherlock fans who instinctively hate Elementary:

Dear haters,

          First of all, fuck you. Your endless rants and comments about Elementary are annoying. You are mindlessly hating a show which has not been aired yet. If you don't like Elementary, then so be it. Don't watch it. We don't need to hear your stupid comments about it. If the show doesn't get the right numbers, it will be cancelled. If it does, however, expect more episodes and seasons. It's that simple. 

       Second, give this series a chance. I trust CBS. I know it MIGHT be good. If it isn't, then I will join your group. But please, don't judge the show after watching the first episode, or worse, the first 5 minutes of the pilot. Give it a chance. Watch it with an open mind.... as if this is the first Sherlock Holmes you've seen.

     Third, Benedict Cumberbatch is amazing in BBC Sherlock. And I know Johnny Lee Miller is as good as he is in here. Also, Benedict is NOT the first Sherlock anyway so stop saying BC is the only Sherlock in the world. You're just stupid. Cumberbitches.

                                    Yours truly,
a fan of BBC Sherlock who's starting to hate the show because of you

SO, there you go. I hope you all support Elementary. If it's not good, then... fine for me. You win. You can flood me with I-told-you-so posts. 


No comments:

Post a Comment