Social Icons

Pages

Monday, May 14, 2012

Chevy Chase vs. Dan Harmon: An asshole vs. An immature

"Community is a mediocre sitcom" 

No, those words aren't from me. Or from any fan. It's from an actor of the sitcom. Community regular Chevy Chase mentioned those mean words to Dan Harmon - creator of Community - in a voice mail which was leaked by the latter.voice mail made on March 2011 (14 months ago).



Chevy Chase's personality and diva-attitude has always been the issue for the actor ever since he started... working. The SNL original cast member was also reported to walk off on the filming of the supposed-to-be last scene of season 3. This maddened the creator that's why during the wrap up party of the third season of the NBC sitcom, he blatantly expressed his emotions to his family and friends: "F--- you, Chevy!"

However, Dan Harmon confessed that what he did (releasing the voicemail) was "horrible, childish, self obsessed, unaware, naive and unprofessional decision..... That was a dumb, unclassy, inconsiderate move on my part. I'm very sorry it’s reflecting poorly on the show.". He said that it wasn't his intention for millions of people to react negatively about the voice mail of the actor. (The voice mail was played during Harmon's stand up gig a few months back in a comic bookstore). 

Chevy Chase complained to the series creator that he wasn't receiving what he deserves.  “It’s just a f*cking mediocre sitcom! I want people to laugh and this isn't funny.” He also added that “It ain’t funny to me because I'm 67 years old and I’ve been doing this a long time. I’ve been making a lot of people laugh — a lot better than this......You’re missing the fucking point! I mean, this is not my kind of comedy. I thought you hired me for what I do that’s funny. You've got to give me some range." 

Nevertheless, the Emmy award winning actor complimented Dan's writing as "great" and he respected him so much that's why it's difficult for him to say this in person. 

From an interview of Huffington Post to Chase during the filming of the last episode of Community season 3, he admitted that this might be his last season in the show. "I can't stand sitcoms. I probably won't be around that much longer, frankly." Furthermore, he declared that he has creative issues with the show ever since it started. 

Now, my opinion:

The show would be different without Pierce. Or would be different without Dan Harmon. But fans are aggravated by the attitude shown by the actor more than the creator. In the first place, if it wasn't for Harmon, this issue would not be this big. It was his immaturity and unprofessionallism that this fan-favourite sitcom received a bad light. 

As a matter of fact, I QUITE agree on Chase. The show focuses too much in Jeff's love affair with Annie and  Britta that is loses its grip on some minor characters like Pierce, Dean, Shirley, and Chang. 

However, I do agree with some fans that Chevy Chase has a bad attitude. He is arrogant and an asshole. Some even say he is not funny at all and has not given anything major to the series. But I disagree to that. Pierce is my favourite character. He deserves more. If he's not good for what he does, he won't be in this industry any more.

As my conclusion, I really hope that the death of Community won't be because of the actors themselves. The show is worth more than that. I just wish that nobody leaves the series. They must fix all of their shenanigans and do their freakin' jobs professionally and as adults. We don't want our favourite show to go downhill because of some stupid and immature reasons. 


No comments:

Post a Comment